Thursday, December 29, 2022

Crochet has taken over!

 In my typical method of doing things, I am now obsessed with crocheting.  It is just nuts as I have not done serious crocheting in years and now I cannot seem to put the hooks down😀

I picked up another skein of clothesline that was a bit smaller in diameter, 3/16" (4.8mm) for another basket.  I crocheted it using a 3 color rotation I learned knitting what are called helix hats.  It was as fun as the first basket!  The smaller cord has better coverage, I still used the Village Yarn Craft Cotton that I used on the first basket.  I like the yarn, it has a great feel and the colors are wonderful.


Since that was so much fun, I started another - surprise, surprise!  This one has a larger base, I went up to an 11 stitch increase.  I started this while waiting for the yarn to come for a blanket that I decided to do.

Well I met up with my friend, who had ordered the kit from Wool Warehouse in the UK.  The yarn came surprisingly fast and they have very reasonable shipping considering it is coming across the pond.  So needless to say, this basket has been set aside because I had to play with my new yarn and a new pattern.  I also will run out of cord partway up this basket and I need to figure out a good join.

Here is so far, it will be a pretty thing!  I also now know I have to work the handles longer.  I brought the helix basket to my moms, and found that the handles are just too tight and short.

Now onto a new blanket!  I am going to be making a mosaic patterned blanket from Tinna Thórudóttir.  It is her Queen CAL that she did a couple of years ago.  Wool Warehouse has the kits, and I bought the Ruby color way.

The colors are so rich and pretty.  It is a lot of fun having these bags of yarn sit on my couch just tempting me to crochet faster so I can get to the next color.  This will have 9 colors plus cream as the pattern yarn.

Tinna has the pattern set up to do in a number of different ways and sizes.  At first, I was going to crochet it vertically so that the color bands went side to side, from dark to light to dark again.  I did start it that way and as the pattern grew, I decided that the motifs will not look as nice side to side, so I ripped out everything that I did and started it over working from the bottom up.  The colors will not be as I would have liked, but the pattern itself will look so much nicer.
This is first time that I have tried mosaic crocheting.  It is making a really dense, thick, and squishy fabric.  I really like it!  I had originally planned this blanket for going on the foot of my bed, but the colors are going to look wonderful in my living room, so its going to be my new cuddle blanket and my old one will go into my bedroom.  Fun times!





2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pattern on the queen blanket. I have never seen a crocheted closeline basket! They are also beautiful. You keep finding creative and fun ways to use your yarns!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks 😊 I find using and playing with yarn just an endless journey. It is all fun, so many colors, techniques, patterns, and textures.

    ReplyDelete

What insomnia can lead to!

 A couple of weeks ago I had a very bad case of insomnia.  I was not able to fall asleep, so rather than the torture of tossing and turning,...